(SNN) - The NHL Owners Association has agreed to merge with the IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) and take on all the IHL mandates for the next season. This will mean that the NHL Players Association will no longer be in charge of the league. The 2014/15 NHL hockey players will be governed under the IIHF Players Association collective agreement and the merger will terminate all NHL players contracts. No more 60 million dollar contracts for one player. The IIHF agreement has a salary cap of $13,000 per week and is then divided equally among the 23 player roster. That means that all NHL players will make $564.22 per week. A much more reasonable fee to pay someone to play a game professionally.
Other terms negotiated in the merger:
- All players names will be put in a hat and drawn at the beginning of each year to see where they are to play.
- No scoring bonuses or any other side agreement will be honoured.
- All games will be televised and broadcast in 18 different languages live.
- All score boards will be written with the contents displaying all 18 different languages.
- All rink sizes will be the IIHF standard of 200 ft. x 100 ft. and the distance from the end boards 13 ft.
- All North American rinks will have to go to this size and all rinks will accommodate a minimum of 26,000 fans. Failure to produce a rink this size will eliminate the team from playing in the NHL.
- All penalties will be assessed by both teams. No more 5 on 4 or 5 on 3. If a player is penalized, both teams will sit out a player.
So this means a substantial increase in revenue for the owners of the NHL and a great move up for the International Ice Hockey Federation. All NHL cities will have to build or modify the existing facilities for hockey in their city. All score boards will have to be increased in size to allow the different languages to be displayed simultaneously. A brawl could result in the goalies being the only players on the ice.
Finally, ice hockey that will be fun to watch and safe to play!
Photo: Some rights reserved by Space Ritual flickr photostream, The Sage nor this artcile endorsed.
DISCLAIMER: The above article is provided for entertainment purposes only and the article, image or photograph held out as news is a parody or satirical and therefore faux in nature and does not reflect the actions, statements or events of real persons. The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the authors of The Sage Satire and forum participants on this web site do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of the The Sage News Network or the official policies of the The Sage News.